Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Angola #2

     What do you expect from a prison? Old cages? Big guards? Scary killers? That is what I expected when I was driving to Angola prison with my fellow journalist. I joined the group, which I am happy to say I developed a relationship with now, expecting some kind of prison film like Shawshank Redemption. What I experienced was unlike anything I had before. When I tell you my opinion of a prison went 360 for the better, I'm not lying. I vow to help these men later in life when I think my opinion matters. But for now, I can only tell their story and I'm honored to tell it.
     It is 5:30 in the morning and I am almost finished getting ready. I creep around trying not to wake up my room, which I think I was unsuccessful in trying. I judged what I should wear, but I could not remember how dressy I had to be. " Oh well", I thought. Better be safe than sorry. I drove to a parking lot behind Keeny Hall and walked the rest of the way. I saw what others were wearing and I got a little embarrassed. I really did OVER dress. I stuck out like a soar thumb. At the time it mattered because I did not really talk with these people before, but it did not after. Landon bought us awesome donuts, which made me happy, and I we jetted off.
     The morning was young and I was tired. I fell asleep until we stopped at a gas station an hour later. I woke up and bought food then it dawned to me. I'm four hours away from entering prison. As the others talked, I pondered what it would be like. I was starting to get anxious and had to get my mind off of it. I started talking to Landon, Amie, Jessica, Justin, and Dr. Beth and did something I hadn't done yet with this group: I started having a conversation. Time flew by and we entered the prison. The two other cars were late and Dr. Beth got angry. To waste time, we entered the museum and were able to enter a replica of a jail cell. Wow! I realized that I could never make it in jail. The bed was uncomfortable, the space was small, and I had to use the bathroom with someone watching me. The other groups made it and we entered the prison.
     We drove about half a mile to the camp and entered a gate that closed behind us. In order to enter, the one gate must be closed in order to open the other. I saw a few prisoners and must admit that I got a little shaky. I was amongst life sentence prisoners, who killed someone to get here. We entered a room that reminded me of that class in high school you hated because the room needed colors and life. In the room was six men, one that really to me looked like a prisoner. They handed us food, which looked like prison food, and began talking. They introduced themselves, what they were in for, and how long they had been in prison. They all were 21 and over with the exception of one, the one who really looked like a prisoner to me. 21 and over!!! I'm 18 and think I lived a whole life all ready. These guys entered jail before I was even thought of. To add to the depression, they did not even look like criminals. They were so professional that they gave the free world a bad reputation as we all know they're some morons here. They started speak of Louisiana's 5th circuit court. I knew this court because I pass it up every time I go to a Saints game. They deny these prisoners their appeals even though they have been in jail for so long and pay $50 a day to keep them there. Now you can have you opinion on this and I understand that. But when you are in jail for so long and our tax dollars are going to someone who probably have realized what they did, do the math. A tough economy today deserves all it can get. I have now come to the conclusion that life without parole is right there with cruel and unusual punishment. These men deserve a second chance in my opinion and they were put here under strict rules of Louisiana courts. But not only were they defending themselves, they were teaching us what we are learning, journalism.
     They gave us a run through of what each section of the paper deals with on a daily basis. They have an amazing paper with the limited papers they have. It describes prison life. What caught my attention early on was the obituary. They have a section for the prisoners who have passed on at Angola. I could not believe they went through the time to write about each one. It was just amazing.
     You realize these men are murders, but I truly believe you can tell a man's story by his eyes. I look in these gentlemens' eyes and see regret. Regret for what they did and just want a second chance. I feel for these men and when I get a voice in this "free world" society, I will do everything in my power to help. If it means putting other men in prison, so be it. I still believe in the death penalty, but I do not believe in life without parole. To me, it's just not fair. I applaud anyone who try to reach out to these wonderful men and dedicated time and money to their paper. We're are all equal and make mistakes. These men just so happen to make the really wrong ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment