Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Kenny McKinley

     Death is such a traumatic experience. I can remember when my grandmother died, I was so heart broken. So when I hear about other's experiences, I tend to think about her. That was the same when I read an ESPN alert about a Denver Broncos receiver named Kenny McKinley, who was found dead in his apartment.
     I did not know who he was or even heard of him, but it really made me think when I got this text message. It was very vague and did not give a lot of info, but I needed to know more. It is always a curious thing, death that is, and you want to know more about the person. I read further on the subject and he had committed suicide in his apartment after smoking marijuana. As a rookie, he showed a promising season, but injured himself during training camp and had surgery that would keep him out of the 2010 season and cause him be placed on injured reserved. He apparently was a very happy guy who loved to hang out with his friends, family, and teammates, which still asks why he did it. As I read on the story, the story said he had made suicidal notes after the surgery. He was apparently depresses over the fact that he would not play for the rest of the season. This is related to most athletes because they are so pushed to be successful. They also feel incredible animosity towards the fact that they are not getting playing time. Sports are for showing how tough you are and when you can't play, you lose that reputation. But what really blew my mind was what he had done a few days earlier. He flew to his hometown in South Carolina to pick up his son. The guy had a family, played in professional sports, and seemed like he had a happy life. What could be better? Of course I'm sure there is more than the media knows, but imagine that son when he grows up how he will feel knowing his father committed suicide. How will that affect him for the rest of his life? It'll be hard for him to grow up not having a dad. Makes you wonder, what really was going through his mind that made him want to kill himself on a personal level. Why would someone ever want to kill themselves, I will never know. But the fact of the matter is: he was an incredibly like able guy and family man and I'm sure the Broncos realize they are losing a great leader. Death is a crazy thing and all I can say is R.I.P. Kenny McKinley and R.I.P. Mama. I will always love you.

092010_broncos_397x224.jpg

2 comments:

  1. No one knows why this happened for sure...but injury and surgery is depressing for anyone...do some research on that...it wasnt all about athletic pressure and not being able to play. Nice Blog!

    ReplyDelete